tis the season

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

This Is the Stuff...


Mornings are an event around my house. I stopped this morning, in the midst of the chaos, and just observed for 2 minutes (yeah, I timed myself).

Jonathan is hurrying from room to room gathering things he needs - books left on the table from last night's homework, his ID and lanyard, socks from the laundry room, etc. He leaves at 6:50 and it's now 6:53. (And I use the term "hurrying" very loosely.)

Sophia is calling to me from the bedroom. I can hear her expressing her thirst over the Mickey Mouse Club House theme music, Jonathan's mumbling and the cat's meows. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention Mr. Trouble, the cat? He is right in the mix with them, walking back and forth from his bowl in the kitchen to my feet in the dining room because he wants more food.

It is chaos. Complete, manageable, preventable chaos. How does this happen? We know the morning is coming. It comes every day. At the same time. Like clock work.... literally.

So, how does this happen? And what does it say about me, as a mother, that this household I am in charge of seems so out of sorts?

You don't spend enough time on the important things.

Your children are just reflecting your inadequacy as a mother.

If you were a good mother, your house would be clean and your children would want to get up in the mornings.

No, no, no.... I don't think so!

This morning ritual, in all of it's hysterics, doesn't say that I'm inadequate..... it says that I'm human. That we are human. That life happens.

The little things that drive you crazy - not being able to find your keys as you're walking out the door, having to ask someone to call your cell because you've lost it again, etc. - are a part of life. There will always be keys and cell phones to find, inconveniences that you can't prepare for or avoid. Don't let them steal your joy and cloud up your day.

"This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I've gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing
Might not be what I would choose
But this the stuff You use"
Francesca Battistelli - "This Is The Stuff"



2 comments:

  1. I love that song. It used to be the ringtone on my phone, because it sums up my life. Sometimes we do have to sit back and just realize that we are human.

    ReplyDelete