tis the season

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Isaac's Invitation

A storm is brewing.

It's the price we pay to live in paradise here on Alabama's Gulf Coast.

My neighbors and I are no strangers to this. Year after year we hold our breaths from July to October.

A friend asked me, "What are you going to do when the storm comes?"

As I read the Facebook updates of Walmart craziness and watch the predictions with anticipation, I think of how this literal storm mirrors the other "storms" in life.

You know its coming. It's just a matter of when and what form the storm will take - financial struggles, health problems, heartbreak.


Do what you can to be prepared. Stock up on the batteries, bottled water, and candles. Board up the windows and protect yourself. I am a girl who likes to have a plan. I function much better when I have an idea of how things are going to play out. I like the illusion of being in control.

The reality is that I can't control most things in life any more than I can control where Isaac will move once he hits the warm Gulf of Mexico water.

What I do control is me. I control how I let the anticipation affect me. The storms of life tend to strip away the trappings. So I say, bring on the rain. Let the world do its best.

What am I going to do when the storm comes?

Hit my knees. Stay put. Ride it out. And know that my God will see me through the storm back into the sunlight and calmer seas once again, like He has done so many times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment