tis the season

Thursday, August 30, 2012

What Isaac Left Behind

I've spent the past two days indoors with my kids, and my dogs, and my cat.  That's 48 hours, people... 2880 minutes... 172,800 seconds. Indoors - no going outside to play, a walk around the block, or a quick trip to the store. Just us... all 6 of us... in this 1400 sq ft space.

The Stinson Family... Trouble (yes, he is), Jonathan, Precious (not so much), Sophia, & Bear 

We watched Isaac with anticipation. Where was he going & when was he going to get there? The decisions to declare a state of emergency and close schools was made early on. This could potentially be really bad. And for many, unfortunately, it has been.



It is with tremendous thanks and gratitude that I fill you in on what Isaac brought to our home....

1. Lots of reading & snuggle time by lamp light.

"Splendid Spotted Snake" is one of our favorites. 
We still haven't figured out how the dots change colors!

2. Our favorite foods at any and all hours of the day.

Egg in a hole... a Stinson tradition eaten at 1:00am. Waffle House who?

3. A long-overdue day with Gordon Ramsay.

Yeah, I'm a reality TV junkie. And a sucker for blondes. Especially ones with an accent that can cook. There isn't anything I don't love about this guy! I own it.

4. A dress-up dance party!

Beyonce's version of "Single Ladies" doesn't hold a candle to Sophia! 
She's got the hip action and hair flip down!

5. Captain Crunch treats (way better than Rice Crispies!).

Regular Captain Crunch, Chocolate Captain Crunch & Marshmellow Cream... enough said.

6. Lessons in taking the animals out to relieve themselves in a hurry.

I wasn't quick enough to snap that!

7. Long talks about being nice to each other and finger pointing.

I couldn't get out of being lectured by Sophia to snap this either!

In all seriousness, I am so grateful that everyone I know and love did not sustain any damage (except for feeling "soggy" from all the rain). It is so easy to become complacent and forget just how quickly these marvelous storms can turn into a disaster at our door.

I heard it said from my favorite meteorologist (Alan Sealls, WKRG 5) that we are "misled by technology". In today's instant information culture, we just assume that everything can be accessed and forecated with the greatest of precision and accuracy. The truth is that it just isn't that easy when it comes to predicting the path of a hurricane.

It's a game of hurry up and wait. Hurry up - prepare yourself with necessities and get somewhere safe. Then wait it out. Just like we do with so many of life's other challenges.

Thank you, Lord, for your protection and favor for yet another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment